I am currently sitting in the Atlanta airport waiting to catch a plane home after spending 4 weeks in SC taking care of my parents. As I am sitting here, I am reflecting on how financial freedom played a role in that. You see, most people wouldn’t have been able to leave their home or their job for 4 weeks to do something, even if it was necessary like my situation was. However, many years ago, I had a big aha moment and realized that debt wasn’t taking me where I wanted to go. So I developed a plan to change all of that. And now, I enjoy financial freedom – the ability to not worry about being away from home for 4 weeks. Most people would not be able to leave their jobs – most can’t go 4 days without pay, much less 4 weeks. Financial freedom has given me the ability to own my own business and have no worries about whether or not I could afford to be away. When I got the call and needed to be there to take care of my parents, it was a no brainer – something that financial freedom brought me.
I want that for all of you. I want y’all to be able to not have to worry when life happens. Today, I am going to share 5 things that you can do immediately to begin the journey to financial freedom – there is no need to wait. Let’s talk about them.
- No More Excuses – You need to stop all of your excuses as to why you can’t get out of debt, save money and also stop your “reasons” as to why you “need” something now and it just can’t wait. We all have an excuse bag. I had a huge one. It’s a bag that we carry around every excuse in the book in and are at the ready to pull them out when needed. Stop being a victim. Stop making excuses and start making a plan to pay off your debt, build your savings and reach financial freedom. I did it with $200,000 in debt – you can do it!
- Save Something – We all have an excuse as to why we can’t save money. But without saving money, you will never have any extra. Do you think I reached financial freedom without saving for a rainy day. You need an umbrella – it is going to rain and like most storms, there won’t be any warning. Start somewhere today – automate $10 to come out of every paycheck – today! No matter how much debt you have, do this one thing. And when you build that muscle up, raise it up and soon you will have a rainy day fund that can cover any emergency and like me, you will be able to jump on a plane, no questions asked, and help someone.
- Live Within Your Harvest – This simply means live within your means. We reap what we sow and what we sow is our harvest. What you earn is your harvest. If you keep borrowing against a future harvest, you are going to owe more than you can possibly pay back. Stop using debt today. If you stop today, and just pay your payments, you will eventually be out of debt even without a plan. A plan will simply get you to financial freedom quicker. Stop using debt to get what you want. Debt will never bring wealth.
- Develop a plan – No one builds a house without a plan and you will not build wealth without a plan. Whether it is a plan to get out of debt, a plan for retirement, a savings plan or a spending plan, you need plans in your financial life. Don’t go through life willy nilly – living on what’s in your head. Develop a plan and you will have success in all areas of life.
- Believe in yourself – If you don’t believe you can, you won’t. It’s that simple. Believe you can reach financial freedom. I believe you can because I did and if I can, anyone can. Believe you can and you will.
These are 5 things you can start today that will bring you wealth and financial freedom. They are the top things I did when I decided to pay off $200,000 in debt. It wasn’t instant and it definitely wasn’t easy, but it was worth it. Financial freedom will bring you a peace beyond understanding and especially in those moments like I have had recently. Financial freedom is worth every sacrifice. It is freedom!
Listen to Debbi’s podcast episode on this topic right here!