If you are in debt right now, odds are you have a shopping “situation”. For me, it was a full blown shopping addiction. (Yes – that is a real thing with a 12 step program and everything.)
But even if you aren’t addicted to shopping, your shopping “situation” is stymying you from becoming debt free and building wealth.So how did I get my shopping “situation” (addiction) under control? Here are a few things that I did that helped me turn it all around and even help me today when I find myself shopping more than my budget can handle.
- Remove all of your credit cards from your shopping websites
- Remove all of your shopping websites from your email
- Cut up and close all of your credit cards
- Only go to the store when necessary and when you go, take a strict list and cash
- Be content with what you have – promise yourself you won’t upgrade unless what you have breaks and can’t be fixed.
- When you start shopping online, get up and do something else. We shop out of boredom a lot and just doing something else for a few minutes gets our mind off of it.
Shopping gives many people a high – it makes us happy, gets us through rough times, and makes us feel good for a moment. But like every high, it doesn’t last. However, the debt does. We need to take a few seconds every time we feel like shopping and reprogram our brains to do something else – something that doesn’t cost money.
I challenge you to look at your credit card statements and your spending for the last 3 months. I think you will be shocked at how much you actually spent. Now, I want to challenge you to go on a 30 day spending freeze. This is how I retrained my brain 20 years ago and I still use it today when needed.
When you stop spending money on “stuff” and start buying only what brings value to your life, you will have more money to save and to use to pay off debt and build wealth. And that will give you a high that will stay with you always!